11.30.2010

Pictures of Christ

A couple weekends ago, the church my mom attends and the one I attend when I'm in Keller had a "Church has left the building" weekend. Life Giving weekend is what they called it. The basic idea is to have every member of the congregation sign up for a volunteer project for the weekend. They provide an extensive list of opportunities that people can sign up for. My mom had the opportunity to be a project this year! They do an excellent job of taking care of their own congregation as well, so when they went searching for families in the church to help, my mom's name popped up due to some bad erosion issues we were having along the side of our house. So bright and early Sunday morning a group of families showed up ready to serve and boy did they! They completely fixed our erosion stuff and they helped us clean up around the house as well. My mom and I talked about what a humbling experience it is to have someone come into your home and clean with you. It was a tough pill to swallow at first, but the blessings that came from that humility were outstanding. Below is a picture that embodies what we determined was the greatest blessing and the entire purpose of Life Giving Weekend. The guys from the church were working away outside when our precious neighbors popped their little heads over the fence (they do that a lot) and the men working were readily explaining what they were doing to them. Later that evening a lot of our neighbors came and talked to my mom about what went on earlier and she was able to explain to them the love of Christ that was shown to her in the form of service. That's the whole goal of this ambitious weekend and I would say that Christ definitely worked through the service provided at my mom's house to touch the lives of many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment