2.01.2011

A Snow Day's Work

I guess a snow day is a good day to get back in the swing of things right? This Christmas and the first few weeks of class have been completely crazy. Blogging has seemed so intimidating just because I've been busy. Today classes got cancelled here because we had a huge blizzard-esque storm blow through last night. The roads are ice rinks. This just means that I've been holed up in my room all day and I have chosen to make this day super productive. I've spent the majority of my day working on a redesign for my aunt's hair salon. I've worked up a couple versions for her in the past but I haven't been super thrilled about any of them so progress has been sloooow. Today, I finally have worked up something that I'm pretty excited about and I'm hoping will be the winner! It's not finished yet, but here are some progress shots of what I've been up to today.


I started out just looking at fonts again, I thought I needed a super fresh start, but after looking for a while and going back to what I had, I decided there was some potential.




Then I traced what I had before to get it down to a better structure that I could work from. Here is right after I traced everything in illustrator before revisions.

Once I tightened everything up, I printed it out and started playing with line width and embellishments on paper. Here is my favorite sketch so far. I'm waiting for the world to thaw so that I can go to my work place and use CS5 to alter the line width, so for the rest of the evening I'll just be adding the embellishments to my digital version.












Well there you have it, the process of a young, inexperienced designer. I hope to have this finished soon along with its applications. Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment